Sunday, February 6, 2011

BACK to the FUTURE

You know what I don't understand, some of the so called 'innovations' that speculative fiction/sci-fi writers, artists, authors, etc. have predicted just don't make any goddamn sense. Like, I understand it's kind of hard to predict the future of science since, let's face it, it's kind of hard to predict the present of science, but some of the stuff they're thinking of - let's put a little more thought into these things. Esspecially when they're in multiple sci-fi/spec-fic universes. Case in point:

Tripods
(or really any giant spindly legged fighting device)
Now, I can see the logic behind the three legged design (any three points must be coplanar and balance, see also bar stools - yeah MATH 105!) however, LOOK HOW VENERABLE THAT MOFO IS! It's the most unstable looking design ever. We as bipeds have a similar (magnified) issue, one overturned car (or large rock) in our path, one instance of not lifting our feet high enough and BAM we're down. Now, if I was pouring bazillions of whatever currency aliens use into an ass-kicking machine I don't want it toppling over at the first sign of a jump rope, ya feel me? Not to mention they probably would go down at the first sign of ice faster than a drunk biddie hightailing it outta e-courts Sunday morning. Not to mention that they're way more venerable to attacks from, say, rocket launchers? One hit and that thing's goin' down in a fiery inferno. Trust me, I've seen it happen.
Other culprits:
I'm talking to you Half Life 2 (the inspiration for this post and a GREAT game)

Star Wars AT-ST Walker - biped, even worse

No comments:

Post a Comment