Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Caution: Watch for Cultural References Flying Over Heads

This is an interesting article I found the other day, its basically a list of outdated aspects of our culture published mostly to help those college professors still striving to be hip and culturally relevant in their lectures. As a child of a slow-to-pick-up-technology family I can still say I live my daily life using a corded phone, I send snail mail (just ask everyone who got my Christmas cards this year!), I have worn a wristwatch, and I can write cursive. But it's interesting to see all the things that the generations before us considered to be common knowledge that we have no idea about. If you visit their website, they've published lists dating from the class of 2014 (meaning those entering college this year) all they way back to the class of 2002. So what do we think recent grads? Is this true?

2 comments:

  1. That's a really interesting list. I must say, though, I do own a wristwatch (it got me through high school!). I do write in cursive (except for taking notes, it's just easier to study from). I have sent stuff snail mail. My family does have corded phones. I have noticed the crazy number of people who don't write in cursive, though. I kind of remember needing a signature from someone, and they told me that they can't "sign" their name (as in, they can't write in cursive). It's kind of bizarre...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummmm for me it's a little wrong. I always right in cursive, just sent on my friends hand written letters because we're all leaving for are freshman year and college, and am not hip with the lingo. Heck a few weeks ago someone wrote "holla" in grafiti on a wall and for a second I was like "Hola only has one L they need to retake spanish."

    ReplyDelete