Friday, June 11, 2010

Twilight Is Just A Cheap, Sugar-Coated Harry Potter

So, my Yahoo news just informed me that 'Breaking Dawn' (the last, and most terrible of the 'Twilight' saga) will be broken into-yes, you guessed it-two movies. Very original Summit Entertainment (henceforth referred to as 'Satin Entertainment' or simply 'Satin'). And very clearly not a huge gimmick to rake in double the money from the tween-magnet franchise. No one has ever thought of taking a gazillion dollar book to movie project and making it one film longer-oh wait Harry Potter. Now. Before I continue, let me make two things clear.
1. Yes, I have read the whole 'Twiight' series (even 'Breaking Dawn' as I fought my basic instinct to give up and set the book on fire) and for a while I was (shamefully) a fan. I've gone to the midnight premieres of both 'Twilight' and 'New Moon.' And each time I've been (what I now plea) forced to suffer through those cinematic tragedies I promised myself 'No MORE!' And after the utterly absurd 'skipping through a field as vampires' dream sequence I knew it was over. Yes, yes, I put up with it for that long and for that I ask forgiveness.
2. I do not approve of the Harry Potter movies. With the exception of some things (the set, Minerva McGonegall, the old Dumbledore, Bellatrix, the midnight premieres) I would strongly argue that I wished they were never made into movies. I love the book series dearly, and the movies come no where near to doing it justice. And for that I think the directors (all six or whatever of them) should be put on trial for the murder of a great series.

Moving on;
The Ways in Which Twilight Is Just a Trashy Supermarket Romance Novel Version of Harry Potter
  • The revival of a classic fictional element to spice up the life of an otherwise boring teenager (wizards, vampires; Harry Potter, Bella Swann)
  • An utterly horrid male lead actor playing someone with a range of emotions well outside said actor's abilities permit him to display (Daniel Radcliff, Robert Pattinson)
  • The obsession with movie releases in June/July or November
  • Painful attempts by the main male character to fit into a school setting when he and everyone else in that setting know that the efforts are fruitless and he sticks out like a sore thumb (Harry, Edward)
  • Werewolves (Lupin, Jacob (even though...oh whatever))
  • The friend who's always nagging about rules and trying the main character out of everything (Hermione, Jacob)
  • The ability of the movies to make the books look bad/even worse.
  • The cool guy with the motorcycle (Sirius/Hagrid, Jacob)
  • The ginger (the Weasley's, Victoria)
  • The omnipresent opposing force (Volemort, Volturi)
  • Repeated attempts on the main character's life by a person well-known to the character and their super-powerful posse but which it takes several/all books to kill (Voldemort, Victoria)
  • The clear use of V when naming anything evil (Voldemort, Victoria, Volturi)
  • The harmless friend who's really not good at anything (Neville, Mike Newton)
  • Shapeshifting (Animagi, werewolves)
  • The main character's broken family (orphan, divorced parents)
  • Another main character's perfect, loving, accepting family (the Weasleys, the Cullens)
  • Suspicions of evil cast on a character(s) turning out to be a giant misunderstanding and that character is actually good (Sirius, werewolves)
  • The splitting of the last film into two parts to make money.
So, I understand that some of this stuff goes back to like, Carl Jung and the hero's journey and other well-established methods of creating a story, and that the two are the same genre. But seriously, I'm just pissed that all the movie industry cares about anymore is money. Not quality, not preserving the integrity of the material they are adapting, just money. ARRGGGG.

Here's hoping the next Harry Potter movies are worth the $11 it costs to go to the premiere...

1 comment: